Best of PubLib and Best of Web4Lib TV – Coming Soon!
This edition of Best of Web4Lib covers the month of February 2010. This month includes questions about digitization projects, thought-provoking discussions about the intrinsic and explicit value of library conferences, configuring analytics, and the meaning of various acronyms. Some of the topics we will be reviewing include:
- Topic » Converting DVDs to .flv files ♦ Shauna Borger with Purdue Libraries-Archives and Special Collections discussed problems with audio syncroniziation converting DVD files to flash video using Any Video Converter. John Chadwick recommended using VLC
- Topic » article of interest ♦ Larry Schwartz with Minnesota State University Moorhead referenced the San Francisco Chronicle article – Will IPAD Chill Mobile Pages?
- Topic » Attending/Presenting at conferences in difficult times ♦ John Fereira at Cornell asks how others are affording conference participation. The discussion addressed how conferences are valued.
- Topic » Bulk SMS services ♦ Lori Bell with the Alliance Library System requested feedback on SMS vendors for library advertising
- Topic » mobile sites and domain registration ♦ Robin Boulton at the St. Charles Public Library District wants to know the most effective way of assigning domain names for mobile websites in the IIS environment – Jessica Woolman recommended Mobify to make websites mobile friendly.
- Topic » Do School Libraries Need Books? (essays from a NY Times blog) ♦ Bernie Sloan links to this story from the NYTimes asking if web-based libraries should replace school libraries – Should they?
- Topic » Google Book Search and interlibrary loan practice? ♦ Bernie Sloan also asks if other libraries cancel interlibrary loan request if the requested item is available through Google Book Search – Is the copy the same as the original?
- Topic » PubGet ♦ DeDe Leshy at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Library wants to know about other library experiences with PubGet and comparisons to standard link resolvers – Bohyun Kim at FIU uses PubGet along with SerialsSolutions
- Topic » Android Phones and Overdrive eBooks ♦ Cecily Walker at Vancouver Public Library is investigating how to load Overdrive EPUB in Android – Xhis Strauber at Tufts referenced Overdrive’s Android App as a solution
- Topic » Press Display and eReaders ♦ Lauren Stokes with the Las Vegas – Clark County Library District asks how to implement the eReader link in Press Display using Sony Reader.
- Topic » Changing Patterns In Internet Research ♦ Tom Tinney reported on his work and realization about research
- Topic » Shibboleth — what default attributes does your institution assert? ♦ Ken Varnum at the University of Michigan Library requests consensus on what Shibboleth IdP (identity provider) should provide a vendor by default – What patron privacy considerations exist?
- Topic » EAD creation tools ♦ Caitlin Nelson with the Florida Center for Library Automation (FCLA) is reviewing user-friendly EAD tools including: Archon LibGuides ICA-AtoM XTF and Archivists Toolkit
- Topic » Archiving Facebook groups ♦ Bill Teschek at the Lane Memorial Library Hampton, NH wants to know how to archive Facebook postings for groups
- Topic » Google issues RFI for community partners in Hi-Speed Internet project ♦ Wilfred Drew relayed this important announcement from Google – How would you like to have 1 gigabit per second access?
- Topic » library technologies — baseline survey instrument ♦ Alan Boyd with the Oberlin College Library is looking for survey instruments that address standards of library staff knowledge of technology
- Topic » selecting a CMS/DAMS for a digital library ♦ Kelly McElroy – MLIS student at University of British Columbia – is investigating content management systems for a digital library such as: CONTENTdm , Greenstone , and SharePoint – What tools are available for comparison and analysis?
- Topic » Cable Broadband and configuration ♦ Chad Pollock at the Rogers Public Library is looking at reconfiguring broadband service from T1 to cable – What are the optimal configurations?
- Topic » Exlibris and mobile phones development ♦ Luz Marina Alvaré with IFPRI is looking for Exlibris mobile phone applications.
- Topic » free online wireframing tool? ♦ Mary Beth Faccioli at the Colorado State Library requested examples of online wireframing tools – Referenced tools included 960 Grid Gliffy iPlotz Mockflow Balsamiq and Lovely Charts
- Topic » CMS/DAMS – EAD ♦ Margaret Gross requested definitions for the acronyms CMS – DAMS – EAD within the context of web development and the Web4Lib discussions.
- Topic » Room reservation program or scripts ♦ Gerry O. Laroza with Ateneo de Manila University is looking for low-cost alternatives to DIGIREZ for reserving rooms on-line. Solutions include: Drupal phpScheduleIt MRBS
- Topic » Cybermobile ♦ Thomas Edelblute at the Anaheim Public Library has questions about mobile computer lab cost, configuration, and applications.
- Topic » Anyone working with the Flickr API using IIS ♦ Sharon Clapp with Connecticut State Library seeks answers about PEAR Flickr and phpFlickr interactions with Flicker API.
The Web4Lib Archives
Filed under: GSLIS, Library 2.0, Library Administration, Library Classification, Library Marketing, OPAC, Patron Privacy, Video, Virtual Reference, Web Authoring, Web Design, Web Scripting, Web Standards, Web Terminology, Web Tools | Tagged: Android, Archon, DAM, Drupal, EAD, Flickr, FLV, ICA-AtoM, IIS, MRBS, Overdrive, PubGet, SharePoint, SMS, VLC, XTF | Leave a comment »